When renovating your Stroud property or adding an extension, you may need to fit new doors. They will enhance the aesthetic appeal of your home, complement your decor choices, and can increase your property’s energy-efficiency rating.
You will sometimes also need to create a new doorway, such as if you need a new external door to provide easier access to an attached garage or your outside space. To do this, you will need to choose a beautiful door from a supplier of composite doors in Stroud and build a new doorway.
Steps to building a doorway
1. Determine the size and location of the gap and mark it out on the wall. Remember to allow an extra 20mm on the width and 10mm on the height to allow for the door frame to be fitted.
2. Mark out where the new lintel will be fitted. It must overlap the door at either end by at least 150mm.
3. Using a masonry drill bit, drill enough holes to allow access for you to cut a horizontal slot in the top of the marked area, just above the top line of the lintel.
4. Fit a strongboy into the new slot to support the wall above the doorway, then cut out enough space to fit the new lintel.
5. Once the lintel is fitted, remove the rest of the wall within your marked area and install the door frame.
6. Once the door frame is in place, you can hang your new door.
It is likely that you will have some plastering and painting to do to tidy up the space around your new doorway. Your chosen supplier of composite doors Stroud will advise as to whether this should be done prior to or after installing your new door.
Although fitting a doorway can be completed by a competent DIYer, it should be outsourced to a professional if you have concerns or lack the necessary tools to do this job safely. This will ensure it is fitted to the highest quality and safety standards.